Monday, May 30, 2011

Maurice Reginald Lee-Thomas Sails to America

Maurice left for America on 26 April 1930.  He set sail by himself.  His other family membes had come a while before him.  He left many behind in Australia who he would never see again.  It's hard to imagine, but the call to America must have been over-riding of the desire to stay in Australia with the loved ones there.  "Courage" is the word I would use to describe this.  He was only 17 years old.  Here is the link to his Identification Check with the Matson Navigation Company to sail on the ship, "Sierra."

1 comment:

Kim Stringfellow said...

He had to have been so brave to get on that ship all alone! I think of my two boys, 16 and 18, and it's hard to believe that he did it. Glad he did, because I'm so glad to live in America! I love your blog mom, thanks for taking the time to do this!